"The weather here has been surprisingly beautiful. It usually is raining tons by now but today the sun is shining and it’s hot. When it does rain here it straight out pores. It rained all day last Wednesday and we got stuck in it, lol. I was drenched from head to toe be because all day it was nice but then at night it started to just come down and we just got out of a lesson and its about a 15 minute walk back to our house and I got soaked. Luckily it was a warm rain and since then I almost always carry my umbrella.
This week has gone by so fast for me. We have been extremely busy with lessons and activities. I played soccer Saturday with a bunch of people in a big indoor stadium which was fun. I was one of the last people picked because they thought I wasn’t good and we start playing and its Europe so they’re really serious about the positions so they put me back on defender but then after 20 minutes we were down by two goals ( not because of my bad defense =) ) so I went to mid field and I scored two goals,lol. I thought it was funny because everyone would do these crazy foot moves but I would just use my speed. And when I was up against someone I would just get up way close on them and grab there shirt and play really rough with them so they couldn’t use there foot work. It was a blast. We won 6-4. I also had 2 assists so I helped out with 4 of our points.
That is my sport story for the week time for spiritual stuff =). Later Wednesday night I went on a split with someone because my companion had a meeting so me and another kid, who was one of the Zone Leaders, went and contacted people in the streets near a big park and restaurant area. We were there for about 2 hours talking to people and even though I couldn’t understand anything they were saying really I still stopped them asked how they were and other muhabet questions that Albanians ask and shared a message. Anyways on with the story. So we were doing this and a crazy man came over and just started talking to us and just kept asking these weird questions and while my companion was talking I zoned off and was looking around me and saw a man walk by and I had a strong impression that I should talk to him. So I watched him carefully because I didn’t want him to leave before we could talk to him but luckily he grabbed a popcorn of a street vender and sat on a bench. Right when my companion ended talking with the crazy man he was like alright lets go. But I was like hold on I think we need to talk to this guy. I said even if we get rejected we need to talk to him or else I will regret it. So we went over to him and I started to talk to him and right away I could tell he was excited. He said about 6 months ago he talked to some missionaries and he has a Book of Mormon and he loves it but the missionaries stopped coming over to his house. So we got his number and address and he is meeting with us this week. It was a very cool experience.
Cool experience #2. We have been helping out with the English class twice a week and in the class are two kids who come all the time and they both speak really good English. They come to the beginner course and to the advanced course right after. They are both 15. I have been able to get to know them a little and Saturday we were waiting at the church when they came by and we started talking to them. We were just joking around and one of them out of nowhere was just like hey I have that book (talking about the Book of Mormon). And so we were like awesome how did you get it. And he told us 2 years ago he talked with the missionaries and one day, just like the man in the park, the missionaries stopped coming and he said for 2 years he has been looking for a way to get into the church and talk to the missionaries. And he said one day he saw my companion and I handing out English fliers and he said to himself that this was the way in. For two years he was to shy to come into the church or talk to the missionaries. So after he told us this we went with him and his friend upstairs to watch the restoration video. Both of them had huge smiles and enjoyed it and I shared my testimony and they were both extremely excited to learn more. The other friend wanted a Book of Mormon and they both wanted us to come over to their houses. After the lesson they stayed for almost 2 hours for an institute class and learned tons and then got to know a few kids. Then on Sunday they both showed up and sat by us and went to all 3 hours of class. They were taking notes and were just excited to be learning about all this. These are 2 exceptional young men and im excited to teach them. We will teach them in English because they said it will also help with their progression in the English language. I don’t remember if I said there names but they are Donald and Grey. I hope they continue to grow and read from the scriptures.
Those few things were the highlight of my week. I am trying to be patient with the language and I try hard to just listen really hard and pick out a few words. Its hard to believe that I have been learning the language for 3 months and only in the country for not even a month and I can somewhat talk and will slowly start learning. It will be so nice when I don’t have to dumb up my sentences and just speak without thinking. It’s hard to teach affectively when I can’t just speak from the heart. Im not very well with words as it is so it will be nice when I can actually show a little of my personality. Right now I think everyone thinks im just this quiet giant =)."
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment